WOLFGANG Amadeus Mozart was born on January 27, 1756, which makes today his 260th birthday.
1. Actually he was baptized Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart.
2. The name Amadeus means love of God and is the Latin version of the Greek Theophilus.
3. It would take 202 hours to listen to all the music Mozart wrote in his short life. He had written eight operas by the aged of 16.
4. When Mozart performed in London at the age of nine some thought his playing was too good for a child and suspected him of being a dwarf.
5. When growing up, Mozart had a pet dog, possibly a fox terrier, called Bimperl (or Pimperl or Miss Bimbes). He also had a pet canary.
6. For three years, he kept a pet starling. His notebook includes a tune the starling sang which he used in his 17th piano concerto, K.453.
7. When the starling died, he buried it in his garden and wrote a poem in its memory.
8. Mozart loved to play billiards. A billiard table with five balls and 12 cues was among Mozart’s estate when he died, aged 35, in 1791.
9. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is an anagram of A Famous German Waltz God.
10. The species of frog Eleutherodactylus amadeus was named after Mozart in 1987.